Millions of people travel internationally each year. No matter where you travel, when traveling abroad it is important to know about the local currency, exchange rates and other issues which can help you make the most of your travel dollar. Coconut Club Vacations reviews 7 of these tips to help you on your next journey aboard.
- Use local currency – the easiest way to avoid fees and issues relating to exchange rates is to use local currency. Spend a little time learning more about the currency before you go to avoid other issues later on as well.
- Never store all your money in one location on your person – putting all your money in one place is an easy way to lose it all. In case of theft, keep your money stored in more than one not so obvious location.
- Be sure your credit card provider knows you will be traveling – if you fail to tell your credit card provider about your travels, you may find yourself without access to your cards. A way to help you avoid identity theft, most credit card and debit card companies will freeze your card if they notice “unusual” transactions. Avoid this by giving them a call before you go.
- Use ATMs but be aware of the fees associated with them – while ATM’s are generally considered the best way to get international currency abroad, you will likely want to limit your transactions as you will be paying a fee. Plan ahead, get what you need and a bit more.
- Be smart about where you exchange money – places like the airport are the worst place to exchange money. Instead, choose a bank to exchange. An ATM will likely give you the best exchange rate.
- Take only the cash you need – a great way to avoid losing money is to not have it on you to get lost. Don’t carry a lot of extra cash, it may make you a target to thieves. Instead, get out only what you need.
- Understand the fees associated with your card abroad – while it is often a good idea to use cash (occasionally you will not have an option), it is not always necessary to use cash however, if you do use a credit card, understand that there may be fees associated with it. There are a number of credit card providers who do offer low fee or even fee free international use but be sure you know what fees you will be paying before you use it.
Traveling abroad is a great way to broaden your horizons and relax and this experience can be made even better by knowing the tips to avoid issues and save money along the way. Be informed and enjoy travel more with Coconut Club Vacations.